Although with a few disclaimers, I clicked "Accept" and formally welcomed his invitation for a bid to crash at my place for a few days. I didn't think much of it, however, since he has been here, things have been pretty awesome.
We clicked as soon as we met each other, with our mutual levels of respect level guiding our actions and politeness. As we sat down and winded down from the day, we shared some brews and talked about everything, from politics to both of our military service to the different experiences that we shared. He is an interesting guy with plenty experiences, and that I can vouch for. We spent the next few days hanging out with friends, grabbing meals, sharing more brews, and playing ping pong on the table outside my dorm. The more time I spent with this traveller, the more I seemed to learn about how humanity is really similar, no matter where you are from or what you do. Humankind share so many similarity.
Some people may seem to be appalled by the idea of CouchSurfing: meeting a stranger online and sharing a living space with them for a few nights. Sometimes, that can sound like the creepiest thing. But with just a little bit of trust in humanity, it can be such a memorable experience. For myself, I love meeting new people. I've partaken in this CouchSurfing journey once myself (in Seattle) and my host was an awesome guy, who showed me so much gratitude hosting a stranger such as myself. But the level of humanity I felt through him was extraordinary. I asked him how I can pay him back for this favour, but his answer was simply "Pay it forward."
From then on, I had a desire to help a fellow traveller and one day host a traveller at my place. It seems to be the perfect timing that I met Sebastien, and my experience with him has been absolutely incredible. From a simple act of kindness that a traveller showed me, I hope that travellers that I host will one day pay it forward and make this world a better place to live in.
If you're interested, the website is http://www.couchsurfing.org.
From then on, I had a desire to help a fellow traveller and one day host a traveller at my place. It seems to be the perfect timing that I met Sebastien, and my experience with him has been absolutely incredible. From a simple act of kindness that a traveller showed me, I hope that travellers that I host will one day pay it forward and make this world a better place to live in.
If you're interested, the website is http://www.couchsurfing.org.
This is so awesome! I've heard about this but have never met anyone that has actually done it. When I first heard of it, I thought, this can't be real! How can anyone trust a complete stranger into their home like that? I really like your optimistic attitude towards it and think its so cool that you got an amazing experience from it.
ReplyDeleteI tried to couch surf when I first arrived here. I wasn't persistent with the website but there was defiantly a lot of people willing to help. My cousins have also gone out of country and vouchsafed with great success!!
ReplyDeleteIt is first time I heard about the word "CouchSurfer" but I did host 2 travelers who I met online when I was in Japan before. The one I host he came from New York, at that time my friends said that I was crazy to let the stranger stay in the house but I thought if i keep close the door I would never have new friends. And yes I had a good experience. The second time I was more confident to host another friend who came from Okinawa. This time I had a great memories too. Now I am married and don't have much time to do it, also I become more careful since I am a mommy.
ReplyDelete