This past week, I've been very busy completing the latter half of my military orders. Specifically, I worked in the Hickam Passenger Terminal dealing with customers who are trying to catch a space-available flight. In a nutshell, space-available flights are free flights provided to DoD servicemembers and their family and also to retirees where you can catch a free flight on a cargo airplane - provided that they have seat released. Working as a passenger service agent dealing with passengers, I've experienced a wide range of emotions this week.
Working with people is something most people do not really enjoy. But it was completely different for me. I enjoyed helping others out and being able to point to the right direction all with a smile on my face. At first, I thought I was going to get sick of it, too, but that never dawned on me. I served many customers and they thanked me for my smile and happy attitude.
However, some of my coworkers were the complete opposite. They would have the most dull look on their face as they spoke to these customers, talk in insensitive tones, and this one supervisor would even mock and talk negatively about customers as soon as they left their counters. I was absolutely disgusted. This was not the face of the Air Force that I thought I was in, and although they may be just bad apples, they are still representing the Air Force to civilians.
Then I thought to myself. Their attitudes really make what their jobs are to them. If you have a generally negative outlook to the job, then every single person - no matter how nice the customers may be - will be just irritating to you. You need to empathize with customers, step into their shoes, and help them out to the best of your ability.
There is this one lady that I recall. She was 32 weeks pregnant, and had just gotten off a flight. She rushed over to me to sign up for a flight that was headed to Jacksonville, FL. As she brought her paperwork, my "negative" supervisor gave her a hard time with correct documentations, but I dealt with her and made sure everything was alright. She thanked me and walked away.
I ended up seeing her for the next three days, as her flight kept getting delayed. I helped her find another flight going to a nearby destination, and helped her as much as I could. As she finally got on her flight to Meridian, MS., and left, I felt satisfaction that I was able to help someone out to the utmost of my ability, and that was enough for me.
I found out that she had left me a positive comment in the comment box, which made its way to the ears of my superintendent. He gave me a ride home that day and told me that he would email all my supervisors as well as my ROTC cadres! I was stoked beyond words as I left his car to step into my room.
Good attitude can generate good consequences. Although you should never do something to get something in return, it pays off to have a smile on your face. :)
I am also a people person too and find that I also find satisfaction in helping people as much as I can. That what you put out in this world always comes back. So thats great that you seen good come back to you
ReplyDelete